We offer up to six $2000 scholarship positions that provide an opportunity to sing with a growing choir, whorship with a diverse and loving church family, and to use your talents in a great music ministry.
Requirements for Church Music Scholars:
- Must have quality music skills-vocal and/or instrumental.
- Actively enrolled in a college degree program.
- Must sing a vocal part in the Sanctuary Choir of Milledge Avenue Baptist Church.
- Attend weekly rehearsals, Wednesday evenings 7:00 – 8:15 p.m. and Sunday morning worship,10:40 a.m.–12:15 p.m.
- If instrumentalist, play in Instrumental Ensemble or Handbells (optional).
- Perform in 3 seasonal concerts (December, April/May, 2017).
- Fall Schedule, 2016 begins Sun., Aug. 28, 2016 through Sun., Dec. 11, 2016.
- Spring Schedule, 2017 begins Sun., Jan. 8, 2016 through Sun., May 7, 2017.
- Excused absences from 3 rehearsals and 3 worship services each semester.
Step 1 – (Deadline is August 19, 2016)
Complete application online (click HERE) <OR>
Pick an application up at MABC and email to:
Church Music Scholar Application
Rev. Tom Eggleston
Milledge Ave Baptist Church
1690 S. Milledge Ave
Athens, GA 30605 >OR<
Send application to: email@example.com
Step 2 – A personal interview and musical audition will be scheduled from August 17-19, 2016 upon receipt of your application. Audition requirements include one prepared vocal solo, one instrumental solo (if applicable), vocalizing, and sight reading a vocal part of a hymn.
Step 3 – Positions will be offered by August 22, 2016 and acceptance deadline is August 24, 2015. Choir retreat is Fri., Aug. 26, 5:30-9pm; Sat., Aug. 27, 9:00am-12:30pm.
A NEW 6TH SCHOLARSHIP POSITION COULD BE POSSIBLE
A new position is being offered focusing on our Children’s Choir ministry. This scholar must have a passion for children’s music and direct the children’s choir. Here is the 12 wk. fall schedule: (Aug. 14, 21; Sep. 11, 18, 25, Oct. 23, 30; Nov. 6, 13, 27; Dec. 4, 11-Performance)
5:00-5:30pm – Snack Supper
5:30-6:30pm – Rehearse Christmas music/drama
6:30-7:00pm – Games / Play (optional)
This scholar would also participate in our choir ministry and any other ensemble of their interest.
The spring Children’s Choir schedule would only involve a few rehearsals to prepare for Palm Sunday/Easter.